microBrain® 2D Assay Ready
Structure Leads to Improved Cell-Based Assay Outcomes
A Structured Environment for Cell Performance
StemoniX® microBrain® 2D Assay Ready, pre-plated product is a human iPSC-derived, balanced culture of cortical neurons and astrocytes (nominally 50%-50%) derived from a single source that demonstrates accelerated features of cell maturity, cell functionality and cell-to-cell interaction to closely represent human brain tissue.
microBrain cortical neurons are primarily excitatory (glutamatergic) neurons balanced with inhibitory (GABAergic) neurons (approx. 80% to 20% ratio).
microBrain 2D Assay Ready is delivered to the customer pre-plated, under ambient conditions and is an ideal model for neurotoxicity and neuro safety studies, high throughput screening and drug discovery.
Click here to read how microBrain 2D Assay Ready is being used in viral infection studies.
Neural Network Structure & Cell Maturity
The microBrain neural network structure develops extensively and supports enhanced maturity of the neurons and astrocytes. The effectiveness of microBrain’s network structure and cell maturity level is evident by:
- Density of Functional Synapses Resulting in Active Neuronal Circuitry
- Expression of Key Neuronal Genes
- Strong Response to Neurotransmitters
MAP2 – GFAP – Nuclei
MAP2 – Synapsin – Nuclei
Gene Expression Profile Characterized in StemoniX microBrain Neural Cultures
Glutamate Dose-Response Curve 8 weeks old
Expression of Key Neural Genes
Responsive to Neurotransmitters
Neuron & Astrocyte Advantages
The relationship between neurons and astrocytes is well documented in literature and the benefits are now available in a pre-plated format via StemoniX microBrain 2D Assay Ready products. Astrocytes are known to support, protect and enhance the development of neurons. microBrain’s neurons have a fully developed foundation of astrocytes that have been derived from a single source resulting in a truly physiological relevant neural model.
Heat map of cell viability at different stages of cortical neuronal differentiation. PrestoBlue (Thermo) was used to assess cell viability. Heat map units in percentage of viability.
microBrain® 2D Assay Ready
Assay Ready microplates that are pre-plated with StemoniX cells, delivered under ambient conditions and ready for assay use after a brief preparation process.
Applications of microBrain 2D
Safety Pharmacology & Investigative Toxicology
- Neurotoxicity screening
- Compatible with popular cell viability and toxicity kits
Drug Discovery & Screening
- Mature cortical circuitry allows for the study of normal neural electrophysiological activity
- Phenotypic screens for key structural features (e.g. formation of synapses, dendrites)
- Study neuroinflammation with a physiologically relevant astrocyte/neuron culture mix
- Study the effect of hypoxia on development and function of mature cortical neurons
- Model relevant human disease by modulation of mature cortical circuitry (e.g. seizure)
- High Throughput Kinetic Plate Readers (e.g. FLIPR®)
- High Content Imaging
- Multi-Mode Plate Readers
|Product Name||Catalog #|
|microBrain 2D Assay Ready 96-well Plate||BCARX-AA-0096|
|microBrain 2D Assay Ready 384-well Plate||BCARX-AA-0384|